Jam bars are scrumptious little melt-in-your-mouth, crumbly shortbread biscuits, with gooey, jammy insides. Half-crispy, half-squidgy, they can be gobbled up any time of the day with your favourite cuppa.
These are easy and fairly quick to make, so you can always keep a jar fill of them around the house. Try alternating your choice of filling for something sweet or something tart, both of which will end up going down equally well.
Easy Peasy Jam Bars
- For the filling
- 250ml cake flour
- 125ml blueberry jam (or your jam of choice)
- 5ml baking powder
- 125ml cold butter
- 1 egg lightly beaten
- 15ml milk
- 185ml cake flour
- 90gm butter cubed
- 125ml sticky brown sugar
For the topping
- Preheat oven to 180 deg C
- In a bowl combine the flour and baking powder
- Cut in the cold butter until the mixture resembles coarse breadcrumbs
- Combine the eggs and milk and stir into the crumb mixture until moistened
- Press into a greased 20cm square baking tin
- Bake at 180 deg C for 20 minutes or until lightly browned
- Spread the jam of your choice over the crust
- Combine the topping ingredients until they resemble coarse crumbs
- Spoon the crumble over the jam and bake for a further 25 minutes or until lightly browned
- Cut into squares while still warm These are great for on-the-go breakfast bites or as a snack
They’ll keep for up to 4 days – if they last that long!
This stainless steel baking tray set has a shiny mirror finished surface to stop food from sticking. The baking sheet is completely smooth, without any rough spot, for quick and ease releasing of your freshly baked goods.
Rolled rims make it comfortable to hold and move from counter to oven and back again.