A Dutch Baby, sometimes called a German pancake, is one of those surprising things that you might only stumble across after 40 years of cooking, but wish you’d discovered much earlier. If you’ve never had one before, think of it as part pancake, part crêpe, part popover, part giant Yorkshire pudding.
While cooking, it puffs up all round the edges of the pan to form a crispy rim, leaving a softer flat base that comes out like a thickish crêpe.
The combination of all the crispy-fluffy-chewy textures is what makes this one-pan wonder such a delicious treat and an exciting, exotic breakfast upgrade from standard French toast or waffles.
Dutch Baby With Grilled Peaches
- 3 large eggs lightly beaten
- 125ml cake flour
- 125ml milk
- 60ml butter
- pinch of salt
- pinch of nutmeg
- a few peaches or nectarines – freshly baked or grilled or canned peaches or apricots
- Squeeze of lemon
- dusting of icing sugar
- 1 cup almond flour
- 125ml caster sugar
- 1 egg white
- Zest of 1 lemon
- Preparing the Dutch Baby
- Whisk together eggs, milk, flour, salt, and nutmeg together in a bowl or processor, until foamy, do not overmix.
- Add the butter to a hot (heavy bottom) pan and swirl to coat the bottom of the pan then add the batter.
- Place in the oven until the sides are puffed and nicely browned, approximately 20 minutes. Do not open the oven door, even if you are tempted, until it is baked.
- Take the Dutch Baby out of the oven and squeeze over some lemon juice
- Add the fruit and blobs of the almond paste and dust with some icing sugar
- Serve in the pan and cut into wedges at the table
- Enjoy! Preparing the Almond Paste
- Place all the ingredients in a blender and blend until it binds together.
- Form into a sausage and roll in greaseproof or baking paper or plastic wrap and store in the fridge until needed. These Babies can be made sweet or savoury for breakfast or brunch but would do just as well for a light supper too
This frying pan's aluminum encapsulated base heats quickly and spreads heat evenly through its triple-layer heavy bottom to the stainless steel cooking surface, eliminating hot spots and delivering professional results every time.