The mojito – a drink that we all love ordering as an exotic afternoon pick-me-up – originated in Cuba as a popular highball cocktail, and it’s not hard to see why.
Combining rum, lime juice, sugar and mint, served over ice, the mojito is a fun and refreshing thirst quencher that goes down equally well at after-work drinks, a night on the town or a lazy weekend lunch.
The bubbles and sweetness might make it seem innocuous, but this is no soft drink! This libacious lady can sneak up on you hard and fast, if you get too carried away. So easy does it.
This strawberry mojito is an adaptation of the original recipe but every bit as delicious. Even more so, if you love fruity drinks. Best of all, it’s a cocktail that’s easy to make at home and a great way to add a bit of glitz and glam to dinner parties or barbecues.
Stick the recipe on your fridge and you’ll be the host every time.
- 2 limes quartered
- 2 teaspoons caster sugar
- 6 large mint leaves, crushed
- 4 quartered strawberries
- 1-2 tots white rum
- 1-2 tots strawberry juice
- 3/4 cup crushed ice
- In a tall glass squeeze the limes and add the quarters to the glass
- Add the caster sugar and muddle lightly with the lime quarters
- Add the crushed basil leaves, strawberries, crushed ice, white rum, and strawberry juice
- Stir well and top up with soda water or sparkling water
- Sit back, slowly sip and enjoy A perfect summer day is when the sun is shining, the breeze is blowing and you have a mojito in your hand!
In cocktail language, to muddle means crushing ingredients to release the essential oils that add all that extra flavour. You can muddle these ingredients by using the back of a glass or wooden spoon to lightly bruise the strawberries and mint leaves for extra aroma and flavour.
Mix cocktails like a professional with this one-of-a-kind bartending kit, including all the essential accessories and cocktail shaker centrepiece.
The martini shaker set also comes with unique recipe cards for a fun cocktail mixing experience to get you started.