For the perfect stack of spare ribs you’ve been craving, this has to be the ultimate recipe. No more burnt and dried out spare ribs, with barely any meat on the bones.
These are succulent, juicy and beautifully sauced. So stop trying to feed your spare ribs need anywhere else.
Throw out the delivery menus and turn down invites to neighbourhood barbecues. Once you’ve tried these, you’ll be licking your fingers and your lips for more.
Best Spare Ribs
- Spare Ribs
- 3kg pork ribs, cut into portions of three per person
- 2 lemons thickly sliced
- 2 carrots cut into chunks
- 2 unpeeled onions cut into wedges
- Water, just enough to reach three quarters up the side of the baking pan
- 300ml tomato puree
- 30ml Worcestershire sauce
- 30ml soy sauce
- 25ml Dijon or grain mustard
- 100ml brown sugar
- 100ml honey
- Preparing the Spare Ribs
- Pre-heat oven to 160 deg Celsius
- Cover with foil and bake for 45 minutes to an hour
- Cool slightly before removing the foil
- Allow to cool completely in the cooking liquid Basting Sauce and finishing
- Place all the ingredients into a saucepan over a moderate heat until bubbling and 2. the sugar has dissolved
- Set aside
- Drain off the liquid from the ribs and discard the carrots, onion, and lemon
- Set the ribs into a baking pan and grill in the oven for 10 to 15 minutes (do not use the basting sauce yet)
- Turn the ribs every few minutes to ensure even browning and heating
- Once browned, liberally brush the ribs with the basting sauce
- Continue to grill for a further 1-2 minutes
- The ribs will go sticky and crispy – take care not to burn the basting sauce
- Serve right away
The secret is to cook the spare ribs first and then only baste them at the end of the cooking time.
Take care not to burn the basting sauce as it will become bitter.
Have plenty of paper towels and finger bowls for each person.
Sturdy and weighty, this solid stainless steel baking pan is perfect for baking meat, lasagna, bread, cake and more. With a brush finish and rounded edges, it's easy to keep clean without scratching and safe to use with no rough edges.