Hot chocolate is a stomach-hugging, heart-warming comfort drink that gives you that warm and fuzzy feeling, especially on those chilly winter days when the wind is howling outside and you can’t seem to get yourself warmed up.
This recipe takes this childhood favorite up a notch, combining rich, creamy and luscious chocolate with a spicy kick of chilli that’ll definitely raise your temperature and put a bit of extra buzz in your day for good measure.
Mexican Hot Chocolate
- 400ml Milk
- 45ml Cocoa powder
- 15ml cinnamon
- 10ml chilli powder or cayenne pepper
- 1 whole red chilli
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 50g dark chocolate roughly chopped
- 20ml sugar or to your taste
- 100ml cream
- In a saucepan slowly bring the milk up to the boil
- Whisk in the Cocoa powder, cinnamon and chilli powder
- Simmer for 5 minutes with the cinnamon stick and chilli
- Once it starts to thicken, stir in the dark chocolate
- Take out the whole chilli and cinnamon stick
- To serve, pour into mugs, sweeten with some sugar, pour some cream on the top with a light dusting of cinnamon Try beating the cream with a little vanilla for a richer topping.
Try to get the best cocoa powder and chocolate that you can afford, it will make a world of difference.