Muffins are such satisfying little bites, aren’t they? So handy for a quick breakfast, to take on a hike, to fit into a lunchbox for school or the office, or a relaxing picnic down by the lake. Make them either savoury or sweet and they’ll always be rewarding.
These cheese and spinach muffins fit the bill for the perfect grab and go snack. Light, easy, quick and made for fingers.
Do all the prep the night before and in just a little while you’ll be rewarded with a wonderful aroma throughout your home and some scrumptious handheld wonders to pack into a portable treasure chest.
Cheese and Spinach Muffins
- 330g cake flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 90g spinach finely chopped
- 30g mild pepperdew chillies or sundried tomatoes
- 180g mature cheddar cheese coarsely grated
- 4-5 tablespoons vegetable oil
- ½ cup milk
- ½ cup greek yoghurt
- 2 jumbo size eggs
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celsius
- Line a 12 cup muffin pan with baking paper
- In a mixing bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder and salt
- Add the onion, spinach, pepperdews (or sundried tomatoes) and 130g of the cheese
- Stir until all the ingredients are well coated with the flour mix
- Pour the vegetable oil, milk, yoghurt and eggs into a jug and whisk to combine
- Add the liquid mixture to the mixing bowl and stir carefully to form a soft batter, do not overmix
- Distribute the batter equally between the 12 muffin cups and sprinkle each one with the remaining cheese
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until the cheese starts browning on top
- Remove the muffins from the pan and cool on a cooling rack for at least 10 minutes before packing into your lunchbox or picnic basket For best results leave the eggs and yoghurt out to reach room temperature.
This pan allows you to create bakery quality cupcakes and muffins at home. The pan surface is a non-stick silicone, allowing you to easily release your baked goods from the pan, without any sticking or burnt fingers.