Cheese straws are always a firm snacking favourite, whether in front of the TV, at a picnic or in a lunchbox. They’re easily transported and don’t need anything added to make them tastier. All you need is your sticky little fingers.
With the addition of bacon to these twists, you have that deep smoky, salty flavour that makes the perfect partner for the creamy, savoury cheese. Rounded off by the buttery, flakey pasty and you’ll need all of your willpower to keep your hand from straying back to pick up another and another of these twists.
These cheese and bacon puff pastry straws are crispy and intensely cheesy and can be stored in an airtight container for up to a week.
Crispy Cheese And Bacon Twists
- 2 sheets (400g each) puff pastry (defrosted, if using frozen)
- 150g mature Cheddar cheese grated
- 16 rashers streaky bacon
- 1 egg beaten
- 50g finely grated Parmesan cheese
- Pre-heat oven to 200 degrees Celsius / 400 degress Fahrenheit
- Line baking trays with baking paper
- Spread out 2 sheets of pastry on a work surface
- Sprinkle the grated cheddar cheese on the bottom half of each pastry sheet
- Fold the top half of the sheets over the bottom half
- With a rolling pin, roll the pastry just lightly flat
- Cut each sheet into strips approximately 2.5cm / 1 inch wide
- Place one rasher of bacon onto each strip
- Twist the pastry and bacon about 4 times together to form a spiral
- Place twists onto lined baking trays
- Brush the exposed pieces with the beaten egg
- Sprinkle a little parmesan cheese onto each twist
- Bake in the oven for 35-40 minutes until golden brown and cooked
- These twists are best eaten warm (no problem in our house!) If these twists lose their crispiness, reheat them in a 180 degrees C / 350 degrees F oven for 3 to 5 minutes
This stainless steel baking tray set has a shiny mirror finished surface to stop food from sticking. The baking sheet is completely smooth, without any rough spot, for quick and ease releasing of your freshly baked goods.
Rolled rims make it comfortable to hold and move from counter to oven and back again.